In this article, we will be sharing with you all How to Get Local Channels Without Cable Service. We can all agree that Local channels are a very crucial source of information but at the same time, the cable TV connection is not as preferred as it once was.
Today there are too many entertainment options that provide all types of entertainment at your fingertips and that too at much lower costs.
Sticking to cable TV today is not something many people are doing. But it is also quite difficult to watch these local channels elsewhere. However, now that you are here, there is nothing you need to worry about
As, in this guide, we are sharing How to Get Local Channels Without Cable Service. So what are you still waiting for? Go ahead and read!
How to Get Local Channels Without Cable Service
There are different ways through which you can get local channels without cable service and watch TV without a cable connection.
Live TV Streaming App
You can easily watch TV and your local channels without cable services through the Live TV Streaming app. All you need to do is subscribe to Sling and pay just $35. You can then get access to all the local channels that you want to watch.
You can get various channels like NBC, NBC Sports, and FOX, etc. If you want local channels, you will have to go for Sling Blue as Sling Orange does not have local channels.
A great alternative for cable connections would be an HD antenna. The best part about an antenna is that it is a one-time investment. Once you have bought and installed it, your job is done.
The setup of an antenna is also very easy and does not require you to be an expert in the field. Once you have set it up, now all you need to do is watch the TV.
Antennas are nothing less than cable TV. You get a lot of channels here as well. Some of the best antennas out there, in our opinion, are Vansky and ClearStream Eclipse. In terms of the price, Vansky would be the cheapest option. At just $20, you will get as many as 70 channels.
I am sure we all can agree to this – YouTube is a never-ending hub of videos. YouTube is one of the amazing apps where you can watch TV without having a cable connection. Most of the channels like sports, news, lifestyle, etc. have YouTube channels too.
A few local and other news channels also run live streams on YouTube. So, you can watch such news or sports channels on YouTube without requiring a cable connection.
Network/ Channel App
A lot of Networks and channels have now started their own channel apps for different operating systems like iOS and Android operating systems.
You can go to Google Play Store on an Android device or Apple App store on an iOS device and then search for the channel app that you want to watch. Download the most relevant app and you are good to go.
Live Stream local news online
Another great way to watch TV without a cable connection is by streaming the local news online. Most of the local channels have their own websites where users can watch these channels.
At a lot of times, these channels also stream live on these websites. You can visit the official website of the channel you want to watch and then watch the live stream.
Installing Major Network Apps
Almost all the major networks, channels have their own network/channel apps today. One can easily download such apps of their choice on their smartphone or PC or laptop or Smart TV and watch local channels without a cable connection.
Given below are some of the most common and major network apps that you can download on any supportive device.
Hulu is one of the most popular streaming services where you can find a number of local channels like NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, The CW, and so on. Apart from these types of channels, you can also watch channels like FX, TNT, ESPN, and the USA. Based on the location, users can receive more than 5 local channels.
In all, one can get over 60 channels after subscribing to Hulu. Plus, one also gets 50 hours of cloud DVR that can also be upgraded as and when required.
Fubo TV is yet another way to stream local channels without a cable connection. You can watch more than 100 channels that also include channels like NBC, CBS as well as FOX on Fubo TV.
There are over 30 sports channels that you can watch on Fubo. The best part about this service is that you can use it on any platform – Chromecast, Chromecast enabled TVs, iOS, Android TV, Roku, Samsung Smart TV, Amazon Fire, Select Sony, and Apple TV,
YouTube TV is one of the best options if you are looking for a strong dose of entertainment in the form of movies, series, videos, and so on. YouTube also has the channels of many TV Channels using which you can watch TV channels without cable on YouTube.
YouTube TV Subscription can give you access to over 85 local channels, depending on your location. You can always add more channels by subscribing to the service at $64.99 each month.
The only drawback is that this service does not have a free trial period. On the other hand, it is comparatively cheaper.
Sling TV is one of the most well-known and preferred local channel streaming sites. The service is offered in almost all parts of the nation. The Sling Blue plan offers channels like NBC and FOX.
You can get Sling TV on platforms like Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Chromecast, Android, and so on. It is also possible to watch it on Smart TV, Roku, iOS, Select LG, etc.
Here are the various packages offered by Sling TV to its users –
- Sling Orange – $305 per month
- Sling Blue – $30 per month.
- Combination of Orange and Blue – $45 per month
Locust is yet another option to watch local channels without paying for cable services. This public company offers free local channels to Americans.
The site basically asks the users to donate them so as to cover the minimum costs. However, this is not mandatory for the users, but a great way to show your support to them.
You can access this service in over 25 cities in the US, which means it is available in half of the country at least. You can check the official website to get more information about their coverage. In order to use Locast, all you need is an active internet connection.
Equipment to watch TV Without Cable
Apart from the above options, you can also rely on various devices/equipment to watch TV without a Cable. As it is not necessary to have a cable connection to watch TV, similarly, one does not need to have a TV to watch TV! Thanks to advancing technology, you can now watch TV on smartphones, laptops, Smart TVs, and many other devices. Read further to know more.
- Smartphone – A smartphone has just become a super mini-computer on which you can perform almost any function. Be it android or iOS, there are a ton of applications that make it possible to watch TV on the smartphone. You can also make use of different websites through which you can watch the TV content on a phone. Many sports channels, news, and other channels have their own apps that can be installed on both Android and iOS. You can download such apps of your favorite channels on your smartphone and watch TV on your phone.
- Smart TV – Smart TV is one of the supreme examples of advancement in technology. A number of streaming service providers are compatible with Smart TVs. Provided that you have an active internet connection, you can stream TV Shows, movies, and so on.
- Laptop – Just like using smartphones to watch TV, you can also use a Laptop to watch TV. There are 3 ways of doing this. You can either go to the website of streaming TV Channels or use an app dedicated to your laptop version. Many sports channels, news, and other channels have their own apps that can be installed on both Android and iOS. You can download such apps of your favorite channels on your smartphone and watch TV on your phone. Another way would be to get a tuner and attach it to your laptop.
- DVR – If you do not want a cable connection, you can still watch TV shows on a DVR. You can subscribe to various streaming service providers to get cloud DVR Storage. You can get 50 hours of storage with Hulu to record your TV show and then watch it later on.
- Antennas – These are yet another cost-efficient way of watching TV for free. All you need to do is buy an HD antenna and then install it. Both of these steps are cheap and do not require a lot of investment.
- Game Console – The majority of the popular gaming consoles are capable of streaming TV Shows as well as movies. Some of the examples of such game consoles are Xbox and Nintendo. If you have a gaming console, you can use it for more than just gaming!
- Streaming Video Player – Some of the video players also support TV Streaming. Just see if your video player supports TV Connection. One example of such a video player would be Roku. After connecting to Roku, use the Roku app to choose the local channels that you want to watch.
I hope with the help of the above article, you all could easily understand How to Get Local Channels Without Cable Service. It is not rocket science to watch TV without cable.
With so many advancements today, one can easily watch TV without cable connection either through various sources or on various devices.
In case you have any more questions about the above topic, feel free to ask us in the comment section below. We will be glad to help you out. Also, if you know of any other to watch TV without a cable connection, feel free to let us know in the comments below. It will be helpful for many!
Keep visiting us for more useful posts!